Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Posted by beni in , , , , , , , , , , | June 21, 2017

9 months and counting with the Garmin Vivosmart HR Part 2


Continued from 9 Months and counting with the Garmin Vivosmart HR Part 1

4. Oddly enough, I have trouble typing on a laptop keyboard when the Vivosmart HR is on my right wrist, even though I dont favor my right hand when typing on my Linux machine or Windows laptop.

I sometimes switch the Vivosmart HR from one wrist to the other, especially when Im typing for long periods at a time.

5. The screen is resilient and definitely stronger than smartphone displays. The curve of the screen doesnt look that stylish, but it does help the Vivosmart HR from receiving direct collisions. I wince whenever the wearable accidentally strikes a door knob or table corner. Thankfully, the product is still scratch free after 9 months of use despite my carelessness. In contrast, the Fitbit Charge I had used for only a few months sustained visible scratches in a short period.

6.  Android notifications and music app support varies between devices and apps. Ive had success with Sonys Music app on and VLC on my Sony Xperia C3 for music playback. However, Ive also experienced occasions when notifications worked, but remote music control didnt and vice-versa. The weather notification initially didnt work (which I assumed was because of my location), but then it worked, and stopped working.

Support for notifications and music player apps vary between Android versions and devices.

Admittedly, I dont enable notifications, remote control, and the weather feature because I prefer to have Bluetooth off to save battery. Moreover, since my emphasis was on keeping activities up, I didnt need the extra few swipes on the Vivosmart HRs display.

For more details, refer to Vivosmart HR: Setting up Notifications and Music Controls.

Continued in 9 Months and counting with the Garmin Vivosmart HR Part 3

Search